Monday, August 14, 2006

Egyptian Coil tutorial

I did up a quick basic tutorial, it's not great, but I hope it helps!


put a loop at each end of the wire



Use your pliers to slowly coil the wire at each end.


When youre done you should have a piece like this.



Then you want to bend it in half, I just eyeballed it.




You should end up with this phallic looking thing. Then you need to bend it the other way.



Here is a finished single link.










Then you thread the one through the other until you get the length you desire.


Tips: Make sure you cut all your pieces of wire the same length. For the silver bracelet I used 20 gauge wire which I cut into 6 inches lengths. When you make your coils it’s important that they are all consistent, once I do the first one, and get it to the point that both ends are coiled, I set it aside, then use that one to measure and compare against all the others I do.

*If you want the coils to overlap, bend the loop over just at or bellow the height of the coils. If the tail is too long the gap will be big. I hope that makes sense.

11 comments:

incikboncuk said...

your designs are fabulous. the tutorial for egptian model was very useful for me.

Lora_3 said...

Very nice. Hey I saw this and wanted to pass it on to you.

http://www.secondchancefashion.com/

Be Safe...

Marie Cristine said...

Thank you! I'm glad teh tutorial was helpful!

Lora, thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

Cristine, I LOVE this bracelet and can't wait to make one for myself. Linked to your tut from my blog...I know my readers are going to love this project!!!

Lynn

Marie Cristine said...

Have fun making your bracelet, show me when you are done! I have plans for at least two more, one I will definitely oxidize, and the other I will add some pretty stones beads to each coil. I just need more wire.... lol

Unknown said...

Uhm.... WOW! Gorgeous work and thank you so much for the tutorial. I will definitely give it a try and post the results when I do.

Again, wow and thank you.

Marie Cristine said...

Thank you, and I'm glad people are finding my tutorial helpful!

Gardencontessa, I have this bracelet listed in my Etsy shop for $145.00

wbf 8) said...

Nicely done!

These little beauties sell very well for me. I work in copper, when customers come to my booth, I do not have to say a thing except; "Egyptian Coil".

Jane Chew said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have introduced your work at www.handmade-jewelry-club.com. Hope this is ok with you :)

vavory said...

Marie, thankyou for sharing your tutorial, it's easy, but i've never to think it's easy, it's looked beautiful, i make it one for myself

hera

HJC Editor said...

Your Egyptian coil tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/